This entry is more than just a
blog for me… since I just came out freshly devastated from my hard rock
research class I thought of experimenting on myself… At 10:23 P.M., half an hour before the deadline,
how on earth can I pull off, squeeze out, and bring on all “creativity” I have
to make a blog? As mentioned in one of our readings (The Eureka Moment – Brian Nadel),
Tom Kelly of IDEO’s said that “Time pressure is one of the best way to get the
job done”. So this is not actually cramming… more of a “social experiment” –
research and creativity rolled in one.
So where do I start? Creativity
defined or undefined.
Like love, religion, beauty,
gender, among others… I cannot concretely define, gauge, or characterized what creativity
is and who is creative. But creativity is generally stereotyped to being an “artist”,
and I bet when you read or hear the word “artist” (like now) I can sense that
you are thinking of … – Picaso, Botong Francisco , Michael Angelo, Michael
Bubble, Leonardo Da Vinci and Leonardo Di Carpio – or perhaps if you see a guy
with a long hair (preferably in dreadlocks), in colorful outfit (or in total black),
all alone (or in a bunch of herd) you would think that he is a creative artist,
as if being (excuse me for the term) odd is akin to creativity. But of
course, “creativity” is not always an excuse to do things your way, it’s a timeless
debate like creative freedom and freedom of self – expression – which is another
long story to tell so let’s put that at rest for the moment.
Growing – up with love for colors,
graduating with a degree in Communication Arts, and now taking up Masters, others
would easily say “creative ka!”, but still to some “it’s not enough”. Howard Gardner
said that each has his own creativity – but specifically being creative in “X”,
whether it’s Big C (great achievements
of genius, like the ones I mentioned above) or little Cs (like the photos below
– from yours truly).
(mirrored photo I took at CCP)
(a sketch of my good friend)
(a painting I did way back in HS)
If one is creative so what now?
If all has Big Cs and Little Cs,
then we are all creative – it is just that not all are put on the pedestal and
hall of fame. But more than just having an audience for your creativeness and
people to appreciate it, specifically if we take a look on inventions – the
aspect that needs to be raised is who benefits from what. And I think you
probably know where am I leading too (though I can barely see where am I ending
this) – The creativity of Japanese, for me, is out of question, to borrow DOT’s
tag “it is more creative in Japan” – they do things the Japanese way. From
great inventions and innovations – technology, robotics, cell phones,
automobile, to “cute” creations – Anime, Sanrio, fashion, and not only out of
the box stuff but also out of this world, regardless if it’s useless or not, so
long that they can express their creativity. And of course, the following TV shows
would surely bring nostalgic memories (right 90s babies): Voltes V, Takeshi’s
Castle, Mask Rider Black, Shaider, and my favorite – Mask Man (in case someone
is misplaced here – oops… let me know)
photos from google
Mask Man
Shaider
And then what really now?
20th Century Writer Ray
Bradbury, would wrapped this up best (at 11:45 P.M.) “Don’t think. Thinking is
the enemy of creativity. It’s self – conscious, and anything self – conscious is
lousy. You can’t try to do things. You simply must do things”
The next time you think that you
cannot be creative…
Don’t think twice or thrice… just
don’t think at all.





“Time pressure is one of the best way to get the job done.” I've seen people do such great things for just a few hours so I think, you've done a great job in beating the time.:)
TumugonBurahinEveryone is creative. Some are just given the chance to be acknowledged and be considered as Creative. So one can never say the other is not creative because their works are not like the great names.
thanks for the kind words sam :)) yes i agree. we are all creative in our ways :)
BurahinI agree, sometimes pressure spills creative juice. I love the photo you took. Interestingly enough, you how to sketch. It's been a while I have not held on my charcoal( 8 years ago), your sketch inspires me to go back.
TumugonBurahinyes. cramming works for me (most of the time)hehe thanks for the kind words re the photo and sketch. the photo is a reflection of the real image sa fountain and i did that sketch years ago pa din! yes, go back to sketching, il be happy to see you post samples here :))
BurahinThe good thing about Japanese creativity, although most people claim that nothing of it is original, is that they make the necessary changes in a product to maximize a product's potential and also to express their creativity. A perfect justification is the Mandala of Japanese Creativity which actually acknowledges Sairiyo or Idea Recycling. I mean, who among those big wigs in creativity will actually admit that what they painted, sketched or invented was somebody else's idea or something that was already done before? Nobody would. Because for long, we have associated creativity with something that is new. Something that is out of the box. An important lesson that Japan reminds us is that it is okay to recycle an idea so that it can be further refined and maximised.
TumugonBurahinyes, i agree jo. what perhaps to be a trash for others is a treasure waiting to be discovered by japanese :)
Burahin“Don’t think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It’s self – conscious, and anything self – conscious is lousy. You can’t try to do things. You simply must do things” (Bradbury). I highly agree with this, creativity should be natural and not be dictated. In some cases, too much thinking of being creative leads to just copying and imitating. I always believe that creativity comes out naturally to a person who has the will power and interest towards solving problems.
TumugonBurahinthaks allan! :) yes. like the copy of Nike "just do it" :) let it be free and be expressed naturally! :)
Burahin