Huwebes, Hulyo 12, 2012

aLRayt!

For these past weeks our class in Creativity and Problem Awareness has been discussing zombie’s favorite part of a human – brain. And as of the moment my brain isn’t really being friendly to me, or maybe it’s the other way around. Work has been exhausting my mind (those who can relate please raise your right hand). Neurologists call it brain – fatigue, because of too much information coming in and out of our mind (information overload). As of the writing I am pleading and begging to the four quadrants of my brain to please work together. Which reminds me (oh my brain cells are functioning now) that I would humbly appeal to those in authority to please review again the crossover connection of left – hand to right – brain hemisphere and the right – hand to left – brain hemisphere. I know you have been studying it for the past one – hundred fifty years but please come on! Perhaps you missed some data somewhere down when you’re gathering information. I am right handed but I know, I proclaim and I believe that my dominant brain is also the right hemisphere (those who can relate please raise you left hand). During the test we did weeks ago, I expected to belong to the 3rd Quadrant but it was my lowest! how can that be!? I am an emotional person! I use my feelings often! I love IPC!  The result showed that I belong to the 2nd Quadrant of the brain or the sequential thinkers or organizers. 


yeah Right! That’s the funniest joke I have heard for centuries! I am not organized!  (see these photos below, that's my desk at work and see I am Sam the Right-brainer) 

But yeah I tend to be a detailed – person, but no! no! no! I don’t follow sequences; I skip from chapter 1 to chapter 23 when I read books. I am not good with language, my tongue is often twisted, I don’t follow the norm, I don’t go where everybody is, and I… I… I can’t believe this! All my life… for the past 20… plus years, I am convinced and I believe that I am a right – brain person, but just one test, one piece of paper, destroyed what I have been holding on for the past 20… plus years (melodramatic music insert here). Oh well not unless my theory is right that I am actually left – handed but my parents forced me to make use of my right hand (mmaaaa!!!). But kidding, I was not really overacting with the result, though a little surprise and curious. And it shouldn’t really bother since it really functions as one, and it adjusts according the situation we are in. No one actually says, “oh wait which part of my brain I should use?”, right? :)
One interesting part of the reading material, though we were not able to discuss it in class, is the “bias” in custom in being labeled as right or left handed. Right in Latin is dexter meaning skill or adroitness  (ability), while left in Latin word is sinister meaning bad. The French word for right is droit which means good, just or proper, while left in French word is gauche or awkward. And in English right means... ahh “right” or correct or true while left is associated with weakness or worthlessness. Even here in our country, the tagalog word for left is “kaliwa”, and if your “maka-kaliwa” your leftist or the term used in politics for those who go against the government. And if your husband or wife cheated, it is called “nangaliwa”. Unfair… right?! :)
Another topic discussed which often happens in every day is the aspect of convergent and divergent thinking, and another, is the vertical and lateral thinking. I don’t think that one is better than the other for it has its own purpose and use, according to what is need for a certain situation. For research, the thinking style, I guess, is often combination of everything. In gathering data all possible methods are considered before selecting one that is best to use (convergent thinking). For advertisers, writers, and other artists probably, most often than not, think diversely to see all possible ideas to present TV commercial, theatre or production. For practical application, a woman must converge her thoughts before selecting that one right man, and for males… they think of diverse ideas to win a woman’s heart (yiiihhh). Perhaps it is not always that we converge our thoughts or think diversely, but it is sure that always, every time, we think vertically or in lateral form – we think ordinarily or out of this world. And we actually don’t stop and think which one to use, right? Our brain is like ninja, moving fast, or lighting mcqueen shifting one gear to another, as the need arises, right? :)
But the highlight of the so far discussion is those mind-boggling-brain-twisting-whatchamacallit quizzes! Come on! I can't see how that girl twists both ways (see, I told you guys, I am rihgt brain thinker) Why in this world will I think of possible problem when I use a pen (like it often has diarrhea or LBM), or other way to use paper clips (like using it as “panggatong”), or human not needing to eat (like … I do like this, because we will all be super models!). And those nine dots! They made me feel like I don’t use my brain to its full potential and to the best of its ability (so help me gosh!) because I was not able to get how to connect it – I started from this side, to this dot, to another angle, to another dot… I even tried folding and twisting my paper but to no avail! And those situations given, challenged me! Come on! What’s the safest place among ranging fire, assassins and lions? Or two sons not being twins! Out of this world situations but challenges you to either dwell on it much until arriving to a possible answer, or have some simple thoughts and finding the right answer. 


left or right or either way or both... I come to realize that our brain can think of the simplest “thoughtless” reasoning or the craziest, weirdest, and sanest excuse. good or bad, its up to us and to which quadrant we will ponder it.

And that’s how our brain works, right? :)

10 komento:

  1. Hahaha! I think tatlo na ang nabasa ko na affected sa result ng hermann test. :D

    I guess there are things about ourselves that we have yet to discover. It's funny how our own selves can surprise us sometimes. :) And I think over time, we change as we mature. When I was younger, I was more free-spirited but now, I'm slowly adapting the strict lola attitude. LOL. But thanks to this class, I'm reminded to love my right brain again the way I've loved it when I was younger. Hehe. The important thing is to maintain balance in possessing the qualities of both sides or all four quadrants because all of them are equally important. :) - Jianna

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. hahaha yes, there are some who were surprised by the result but as you have said, "balance". left or right... it doesn't really matter, there's no wrong quadrant/ thinking style... our way of thinking becomes wrong when we do/think the wrong thing for no reason at all :)

      Burahin
  2. i had fun reading your thoughts, i love the statement our brain works like a ninja. True enough, as mentioned on one of our readings that our brain acts is if it zaps on things, the next thing you know it, its gone

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. thanks toni :) yes. those were the "sayang" moments. we either regret it or it might have saved our day "ay buti nalang". interesting how "busy" our minds can be. so may excuse pala ang pagiging fickle minded hehe :)

      Burahin
  3. it's funny because we have the same dilemma! I believe and I declare that I'm a right brain thinker but my test revealed that I'm a left brain thinker. Unusual right? But I think that we're somewhat affected or influenced by the schooling we had that no matter how right brain-er we are, some of the left part comes out, also as we recall, the left is the aggressive, more makulit part of the brain.

    I like your discussion in convergent/divergent thinking, about courtship and divergent thinking. I never thought that even in that aspect of our lives, that kind of thinking is required! It's really interesting how the brain works!

    This statement of yours, ". And those nine dots! They made me feel like I don’t use my brain to its full potential and to the best of its ability" struck me cause that's what I also felt. I felt useless and pathetic when I was answering it because I've already seen the test before and I FORGOT HOW TO SOLVE IT huhuhuu, pathetiiic memory!!

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. haha lol yes sam those nine dots! arrgh! hehe :)) whew akala ko ako nalang nahirapan! welcome to the club hehehe i agree, we are affected and influenced by our schooling. siguro nga unknown to us, nadodominate na ng left-brain ang right-brain (leftist talaga, palihim kung sumalakay hehe) yes. everyday, unconsciously, we exercise different thinking style, di lang natin pansin.... hmmm maybe next time we become too conscious kung anong style na ginagamit natin hehe :))

      Burahin
  4. You are also victimized by this exam. Maybe, Sir was right that this is only a part of the exam and will not determine the part of the brain you are using. I like the part where you try to deconstruct all your qualities against the activities that we did. I think you should not take the lesson too personal and just try to go with the usual things that you do. You existed in this earth for number of years already and I see no reasons to change it.

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. hehehe i was just surprised :)) maybe sir can give the whole test to appease my/our bothered mind *hehe nagbabakasali lang po sir :))* hehe yes, despite the result, i still have the usual me-style :)

      Burahin
  5. Thank you for an entertaining blog. Isn't it fascinating that the way you see yourself (or what brain you have) was not always the same when it comes to this test? It also shows the irregularity on how we think. We base it on facts, on or observations with oneself, on our similarities with the qualities indicated or the examples emphasized, then we come up to a decision wherein we validate ourselves to belong in a certain portion of that division. That is what I like about the brain. They are considered as a whole but fucntions differently (left-right). That is why we really need to develop the "unaware" part of our brain..;)

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. thanks sacs :) yes, we have diverse thoughts, and at times, i can't imagine how far our imagination can go... and even to other people. "ibang klase ang wavelength ng brain" as how others would express it. i guess what you said about "unware" part of our brain is one of the realizations/learnings for most of us after the test, that we have those yet to discover skills :) there is no harm in trying to know more about how/what our brain can work for us :))

      Burahin