Much as I wanted
not to claim it, I guess I have to confess that this would be my first serious
shot on blogging. I don’t consider answering questions on friendster’s bulletin
board as blogging, and neither do I constantly post notes on facebook. The closest
thing I can relate to this is my livejournal account, which I barely used (anyone
who could remember?) I had it way back when having a mobile phone with
multi-color housing that matches your outfit puts you on the pedestal of
demigods. So please bear with this neophyte. As Henry Ford once said and was quoted
in the documentary, “Every object has a story,” and so is this blog… and this
is my version of it.
The documentary,
“Objectified”, brought compounded thoughts in my head, with a running time of
an hour and half, more than 10 interviewees, and presentations of various
products and designs, from toothbrush to cars, laptops and mobiles. It was
actually an information overload. My trail of thoughts, as I watch the film,
ran in crossroads as disorganized as my handwriting as I curved these words. So
to put into method my thoughts and better understand my insights, I will make
use of an acronym very close to the documentary, and to the course that we are
taking, baduy as it may sound… A.R.T.
Appreciate
I guess after
the film, I or maybe even some of you would never look at a toothpick the same
way again. I guess one might even check those tiny lines on its tip, or even
try snapping it after used, or simply look into its details. Those tiny details
that little did I know has a meaning, a purpose, and a reason that root back to
a culture or symbolism. Details of designs where there because it serves a
purpose. The innovation that the designer went through, those sleepless nights
and long awaited eureka moments just to improve the product, to develop it for
the consumers’ convenience; it is for us and worth our salute. It made me
appreciate more and thank God that I was born in this generation where most
things are fast and easy. I bet you wouldn’t like, not even dare to imagine,
being in the era when peeling a potato would need a sharp rock and do it the Flintstone
way. As I look around my tiny space, seeing a hanger hooked on the edge of my
bed, hampers in shape of rectangle and circle, rotating stand fan, music
playing on my phone, these are the things I see everyday but did not really
dwell much on its usefulness on how it makes life less complicated. Now, I no
longer see mere products, but man’s ingenuity. What I see are people with great
mind, untiring hands, and flaming passion to create products not for themselves
alone but for all.
Respect
With much
appreciation, I give my high respect not only to the designers but also to
their products. I used to think that some products or designs are non-sense, of
no use, waste of resources, and made with one eye shot and half of the brain
dead. Honestly, at first, I thought that the laptop featured by one of the
designers would need a miracle in order to sell it, not even to his relatives,
unless it will come as free. I don’t think it’s efficient, I don’t like it
being bulky, it looks heavy, and its monitor and keypad are too small for its
size. Its only saving grace is the “automatic eject” if incase your pencil
rolled on the side of the monitor (genius…err… right?). But after much
pondering and guilt eating my conscience for being nasty, I realized, who am I
to critique someone’s work. I don’t know the effort he exerted for it; I
wouldn’t know what he went through to come up with such product. Who am I to
really critique when I haven’t even tried spelling my name backwards. Perhaps
at times I think out of the box, but this guy, he thought out of this world
that led him to create a box that is yet to exist. I guess it would take me
forever to create one, even with my two eyes wide open.
Take Action
All those innovations
and product development take me back some years ago when being cool means
having moving phone saver screen and an infrared that allows you to play the mobile
game Snake in two players. There I
was engaged on a debate, trying to argue why innovation must have some repercussions,
limitations and considerations. I was standing on the opposite side… alone. My
point is that while the rest of the world is advancing with all these high
technological gadgets and moving forward in zip and zaps, there are people,
somewhere unknown, who haven’t even heard a music through a radio, or the word
television is gibberish, or electricity, radio waves, or satellites have
reached their community. Who knows that maybe, just maybe, there are really
some who still live in the realm of Fred or Tarzan. It made me feel bad to
desire more, to want more, I was afraid to be engulfed by materialism and
advancement. Some thought I am acting weird, thinking slow, an old soul… and I
thought so too. If all of those meant looking forward but trying to preserve
culture and origin, reaching and grasping innovations but holding to what
really matters most, stepping forward towards a new world but leaving a trail
so as anytime I can look back and go back or let others follow, and to ensure
no one gets lost or left behind… then by all means I am weird, slow and old
soul.
The documentary
reminded me of an action I almost forgot for sometime. As said in the film, at
the end of the day the purpose of these products is to help us survive each
day, we put meaning to it, value to it… but with that I guess, I put on my hand
the responsibility to make use of these instruments, to be an instrument to
create a bigger impact and greater cause not only for me to survive and to
savor each moment, but most importantly for others as well.
Your post made me feel like I came from the Flinstone age. Kidding! :)
TumugonBurahinI grew up in an era where potatoes were peeled using a knife and not a potato peeler. Can openers were then called 'abre lata' and they weren't the electrical ones or the ones that have rotating knob.
The designs of those objects back then served its purpose. They were not crude but they're not as convenient, either.
But I guess designs also need to adapt to the times. A designer should understand what the customer needs and whether designing an object that way is right for that moment.
thanks rochelle for the comment :) haha we used to call can openers abrelata too and thsoe where the days when can openers that are being advertise in home tv shopping are cool, just lock it on top of the can and it will run on its own :) i agree things adapts according to the growing needs of people, as the old saying goes, only death and "change" are innevitable in this world :) thanks again for the post :)
TumugonBurahinNaalis ng may-ari ang komentong ito.
TumugonBurahinYour thought reminds me of the digital divide, which means that there are some people, or minorities not reach by technology (i.e. the knowledge on computers and the internet). Some were arguing on issue of the digital divide divide of which they point out, "is there really a need for us to bridge the gap"? or leave them they way they are? - Toni Ebron
TumugonBurahinhi toni! have you seen my comment on corrine's page? i mentioned your photos on avant garde but i don't know how to comment on you blog, hindi ko mapost.weird. i tried twice using our office's pc and in an internet shop but to no avail. because it reminded me of the time when i was a prod asst. for project runway phil-season 1. yes, i've heard about the question of whether minorities or as they are popularly reffered as "indigenous" minority shall be remained in their culture or be introduced of the modern tech. i think its okay as long as they wan to, but i hope, if incase they would be exposed with these techs, they would still preserve and remain grounded on the roots of their culutre... its part of our culture :) big thanks for the comment, and i hope i can figure out how to post on your blog :)
BurahinI share the exact same sentiment R. There are some designs which I think are useless. But then again, who are we to critique somebody else's brainchild when we haven't even done something innovative?
TumugonBurahinJust amazing how times have changed. In my blog, I discussed this issue too. Back in the day things were not battery operated, were not touch oriented, etc. But look at where we are now. We can actually save something on cloud. Change has brought us convenience. But I think we should also consider how it changes the way we live. Do these new inventions make our lives easier or does it also make us lazy? Quite ironic noh?:)Sometimes change can also bring us identity crisis. With all these new international products available, weve regarded the local products as somewhat cheap, not cool, or something of that sorts. I'm guilty of that, and I think most of us are too.
Another good point tackled was also that of how other communities have not experienced these changes that we are enjoying now. Some communities are electric and shelter less. It's the responsibility of everyone to help uplift situations like these. Innovation doesn't have to come in the form of a new gadget or product, it may come in the form of changing other people's lives.:) Ehem Social Change.:)
thanks for the comment jo :) and big thanks for the text message, hope you got my reply :)
Burahinyes, things change and keep on changing and will always do. death and change, we can't escape them as someone once said. its all about keeping yourself grounded on who you really are and making use of these gadgets and not the other way around.
yes! social change is the word. hehe so we should also make use and take advantage of having the privilege to use these stuff to help others... we might even think or create a way to help them... we will never know :)
Nice.
TumugonBurahinThe third part (Take Action) has a lot of points that really attracted my mind.
If you think of the advancements made in object design and purpose here in the city, you will always confirm within yourselves that there are people who are considered "late" or "ignorant" in these developments.
For me, the people in that side of the world cannot be considered "unadvanced". Its just that their daily needs to survive is way (and I mean, WAY) different than the needs of people living in the city.
So what if they have not heard the music from a radio or mp3 player? Do they need that in hunting for food?
How about Electricity? Would that help in providing their basic needs?
And now someone may politely ask,
"So, are you telling me that they are equally advanced with us?"
YES. They are equally advanced with us based on the way of living. We have industry designers, they have too and they are the people living there, making improvised tools that will give them the support they need in doing daily tasks.
Sorry to have a long comment. Don't worry. This is just me.. haha..;)
hahaha no worries. thanks for the comment :)it has always been an issue to me, thinking of other people without bothering to know if they care or not... oo nga naman, what if they are okay living that way :) thanks again :)
Burahini might as well would like to appreciate the deeds of our designers, respect everyone's intuition in designing and take action to preserve culture (ART) :).
TumugonBurahinEveryone's action is subjected to criticism. But you are right. Who the hell we are to judge one's action (in this case, one's design)? Their work may be of help to others, may not be for us, in another situation. So, it is better to respect their own work. And it may also be better for us to innovate our own new things to be shared to others. :)
hi claudine :) thanks for the comment :) yes it all boils down to respect. if someone can't appreciate ones work then just let it be as long as, as what you have said, judgment is well-thought of.
Burahinp.s. thanks for the company yesterday at the Lib :)
I agree when you said that it is the responsibility of a consumer on how he/she will use a product. Oftentimes, products are used based on its purpose but sometimes it is used to do something evil. Let's take an ice pick as an example. It is created to help remove the ice that stick inside the refrigerator but some used it to threaten or hurt people. Truly, the function and usefulness of a certain item depends on how its user use it. Use things wisely and properly. :)
TumugonBurahinthanks for the comment ruth :) yes, sometimes its not really the product that is negative but the person using it. its a matter of precautions and like what you've said wise actions.
BurahinI liked what you said about thanking God for being born in this age where technology is a big help. I can't really imagine how the early filipinas dealt with monthly periods!! Kidding aside, everything we have are made to make life easier, more convenient and it is just right to give credit where credit is due. We have to acknowledge the designers and their creativity, and as you have said, for the sleepless nights they had just to think of these things!
TumugonBurahinhi sam! thanks for the comment :) i believe that the greatest designer is UP there. perhaps those early filipinas were also thinking how was the life of their grandparents and forefathers, and perhaps one day, the children of our children will think how was our life today... baka that time nasa outer space na sila... what could be modern for us now might be stone age for the coming generations but yes, acknowledgment goes to those people out there who makes our life easier :) thanks sam! see you tom :)
Burahin